Friday, March 28, 2008

George Clooney Comes to Visit Maysville, Kentucky!









Hello everyone! I am taking a break from Ruby this week (sorry!) so that I can relay some information from the life and times of the Fugates! I promise that I will start up the story of Ruby again next week. For now, we will just leave her with the little boy and Gran safe inside the house. They don’t know what I have in store for them…so we will let them be blissfully unaware for one more week. Mwa ha ha!




Anyway, as you all may have heard, George Clooney came to premiere his new movie Leatherheads in Maysville last week. Now, my wife Lisa is one of the biggest George Clooney fans that I know. She has pictures of him on her laptop. She purchases almost every magazine that has him on the cover. She even purchased a mug that he helped design to raise money for charity. She is a Clooney nut! So…it went without saying that we were going to be taking a trip to Maysville!




The trip to Mason County wasn’t bad. We go there quite often with our friends, Rod and Corrinna Middleton of Morehead, to eat at Tumbleweeds and to go shopping. We arrived in Maysville about 3:00 PM and had a nice lunch at Applebee’s. I love their Oriental Chicken Wrap. It is so yummy! Afterwards, we headed out to the Mecca of all stores…Wal-Mart.




We had brought our digital camera with us, but Lisa wanted to make sure that our batteries didn’t run down. So, we trekked into Wal-Mart to purchase some new batteries for our camera. I didn’t say a thing. I knew that if the batteries died while I was taking pics of Lisa and George Clooney that I would soon follow them! Seriously….she would kill me. I’m not joking. She would probably use that George Clooney mug of hers to bash me in the head. LOL. I wonder if that would make the value of the thing go up or down? I do know that it would sure depreciate my value!




The city of Maysville had really gone all out to get ready for George. When we arrived in the downtown area at the Opera House (where the movie would be premiered), we noticed that they had already rolled out the red carpet. There were movie posters everywhere. The reporters were out in droves, trying to get the juiciest gossip and the best camera angles for their stories. Of course, I was just mentally taking it all in. If only I had gotten a press pass from the KY Mountain News…perhaps I could have gotten to interview Mr. Clooney himself!




Lisa and I got to the red carpet about 4:00 PM. George Clooney wasn’t expected to arrive until 7:00 PM, so we had three hours to wait. Three long hours. Three long hours in the cold. Three long hours in the cold, standing on our feet. Of course, I didn’t say a word. Lisa had a gleam of madness in her eye. Of course, it was the same gleam that I saw in every woman’s eye as I looked around the ever growing crowd. These women were out for blood. God help anyone who got between them and George Clooney.




Lisa and I chatted with a couple of sisters and their daughters. They lived in Maysville and had been standing in line since noon! I was shocked….but not too much. The crowd kept growing around us as we waited.




I saw some pretty interesting characters. For example, there were three guys dressed up as escaped prisoners in reference to Clooney’s film Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? I thought it was pretty cool. There was also some man dressed up like Colonel Sanders. And of course…as I have previously stated…there were packs of reporters everywhere.




As Lisa and I were standing there, the public relations people from the movie came down the red carpet and started throwing caps and t-shirts into the crowd. Now, I know that these products didn’t cost over probably $5 each, but you would have thought that they were made out of solid gold the way that people were screaming and fighting over them. I actually had a t-shirt in my hand, and some man snatched it out of my grasp. I thought about downing him in the street and bashing his head into the pavement, but then common sense came back to me. Had I just been caught up in Clooney fever? I think so! Either that or a bad reaction to that Oriental Chicken Wrap from Applebee’s. LOL! I guess that it could have been either.




Luckily, Lisa caught a t-shirt. She clutched it to her chest like it was George Clooney himself. A few minutes later, I grabbed a cap. It was actually a rather nice cap. I have a hard time finding caps that will fit me, so I was pleased when this one fit me perfectly. So…clad in our Leatherheads garb, Lisa and I continued to wait for George Clooney to appear. Behind us, the crowd was getting restless. I had horrific visions of being crushed into the metal fence by throngs of middle-aged women, lust-crazy over George Clooney. Was I going to be trampled to death by the feet of a 3,000 women trying to snatch a piece of George Clooney’s hair? I prepared myself for the worst.




Soon, the magic hour arrived. The people at the end of the line started screaming. We knew that George had arrived. Lisa was practically dancing. She was so excited. She had brought a copy of Time magazine with her that had George Clooney on the cover. She was hoping to get an autograph.




And then…there he was. I do have to say…I was very impressed with the way that George Clooney treated his fans. He totally ignored the press until he had taken ample time to shake hands, sign autographs, and take pictures with his fans. He treated his fans very well! When he got up to Lisa, he signed her magazine. He was really pleased to see it. He said, “Wow…my issue of Time!” He signed it and asked how we were doing. Lisa told him that we were fine. I snapped some great pictures while he was signing the magazine for her.




And then…it was over. He went on down the line. But it had been worth it. Lisa was happy. And if Lisa was happy, then it had been worth it to me. I love Lisa and would do anything for her. I am so happy that she got to meet one of her favorite movie stars. And I have to admit…it was pretty cool. Especially when we saw ourselves on Extra! the next day. Now THAT was really cool!




Until next week (and I promise to continue the story of Ruby!)….class dismissed!

No comments: