Sunday, November 1, 2009

Cooking Up Soup....and Pumpkin Cake!

The last couple weeks of October have been great here in the Fugate household. To start off with, we have been using our new "Julia Childs" pot to cook lots of yummy soups. Mom and Dad gave me a nice butternut squash....and I used it to make a great butternut squash soup.


First, I roasted the squash in the oven...




After roasting, it looked like this....

Then, I melted some butter...yes, real butter...in the pan.

And then, I added onion, carrots, and the roasted squash in a mixture of vegetable and chicken stock. After cooking, I pureed the mixture to make it smooth.
The final ingredients were added....nutmeg, white pepper, and half 'n half. I stirred it with my wooden mixing spoon....and there was the perfect roasted butternut squash soup! This soup was great with corn muffins!
A week later.....we made a big pot of vegetable soup in our "Julia Pot" and it was GREAT!
And Lisa made the best cake! It is called a Pumpkin Spice Cake! It had homemade buttercream icing and pecan halves on top....with drizzles of caramel. Delicious!

















No comments: