Sunday, August 1, 2010

Janet Wagoner...Strong and Determined!

Janet (third from left in pink shirt) with wonderful workers at
the Nim Henson Geriatric Center in Jackson, KY.


Once I heard the expression "Life is a bowl of cherries...and this is the pits!" Of course, everyone knows that life is not always going to be smooth sailing. Hopefully we have more better days than bad, but we have to be prepared to weather the storms of life when they come around. Nobody does this better than my mother-in-law.


My mother-in-law, Janet Wagoner, is one of the bravest and most determined people that I know. She has been through a lot in her life, but she doesn't let it keep her down. She keeps on fighting and keeps on growing as a person. She is an inspiration to me because she doesn't quit. In fact, I don't think that quitting is a word that she has in her vocabulary.


I met Janet about 20 years ago when my wife, Lisa, and I began dating. Lisa had invited me to dinner, and I thought that Janet was trying to be fancy because she had baked a turkey...and it wasn't even Thanksgiving! When I was growing up, we only got turkey at Christmas! I was very impressed. Of course, now I know that it is perfectly acceptable to eat turkey all year long if you wish! Ha! But at the time, Janet made a very favorable impression on me with her choice of food. I also remember her potato salad being the best ever!


Through the years, our family has had good times and bad. When Lisa's dad, Dillard, passed away, it was a very hard time for all of us. Janet was still living in Morehead, KY at the time, but she decided that it would be best to move to Breathitt County to be closer to Lisa and me. It was great having Janet live with us for a while. Of course, she didn't want to be living with a couple of rowdy school teachers (you know how wild we can be..LOL!) so she made another decision to move into an apartment in town.


She applied for and got a little apartment in Kings Ridge Apartments behind True Value. She loved living on her own again, and it was easy for Lisa and me to stop in and see her during the week after school. Through her years of living there, she made many friends. However, her health did start to deteriorate after a many years.


Janet had always had trouble walking on one of her feet. It would drag on the floor, and she would have trouble keeping her balance. But the worst thing was when she started to fall. She fell a few times in her apartment and couldn't get back up. Lisa and I would go and help her. Eventually, we all knew that she would no longer be able to live in her apartment. She needed full-time medical care. Luckily, there is a place for that right here in Jackson.


The Nim Henson Geriatric Center is a nursing home located on Jetts Drive in Jackson, KY. Janet has been living there for one and a half years now. During this time, it was discovered that she had "water on the brain" and had to have a surgery to help remove it. After the surgery, the doctors told her that her balance and strength would return with time and therapy.


A lot of people may not realize what a wonderful facility the Nim Henson Geriatric Center is for our community and people in need. Every time that Lisa and I are visiting Janet, we see people working hard....cleaning, caring for patients, decorating, etc. The home is very clean! I am very impressed with the cleaning crew. I always see someone cleaning!


Janet loves it there. It is her home, and she has made so many new friends. She told Lisa and me that she is as close to most of the workers now as she is to her own sisters and brothers!


At first, she was a little reluctant to take therapy. However, over time, the physical therapists at the nursing home were able to get her to build up her strength. When she first went into the home, she could barely lift her legs while she was lying down in bed. With lots of encouragement and work on the part of her physical therapists, Janet began to see results.


I am so proud to say that my mother-in-law was able to go from only being able to move around in a wheel-chair to being able to walk! At first, it was just a few steps on the balance bars. This built up to steps on a walker. Now, she is even able to take some steps with a cane!


Janet's goal was to walk around the track between the nursing home and SMS. With the help of the talented workers and therapists at the Nim Henson Geriatric Center, she achieved her goal. She was able to walk around the track. More importantly, she was able to build up enough strength so that she was able to go with Lisa and me to the Hatfield reunion for a few days this summer! We had a blast! She amazed everyone at the reunion with her newfound walking ability. She even got an award that said "I can walk up the steps and I don't need a wheelchair." She has it on the wall in her room.


All of this wouldn't have been possible if it hadn't been for the caring, talented folks at the Nim Henson Geriatric Center. They all deserve a pat on the back! They go above and beyond for all of their patients.


This also wouldn't have been possible if it hadn't been for the inner drive and determination of my great mother-in-law, Janet Wagoner. She could have just quit and not done anything when she moved into the nursing home. But she isn't like that. She is a winner. That fire and spirit that I admire has gotten her up and about...and it will keep her up and about! We love you Janet. Keep up the good work!


Just remember everyone...even when things seem their darkest and most dire....get back up and keep trying. Don't ever quit.


Until next week....class dismissed!


No comments: