Sunday, February 5, 2012

What Drives You?

Everyone gets up each day with a clean slate ahead of them. We are faced with literally hundreds of choices that we can make from what to wear, what to eat, and how to interact with others. One thing that I find interesting is that we not only have an effect on ourselves with these decisions. We also have a major impact on other people around us. For example, let’s imagine that you are really grumpy because you didn’t win the Power Ball jackpot. Because of this, you are very rude to the waitress at Hardee’s while you are getting your morning biscuit and coffee. This brings down her mood and so she takes it out on other customers who innocently walk in wanting some breakfast. These people might feel bad enough to snap at their kids when they get back in the car.

Wow! Your one little action just created a big negative vibe for several people in the community. What a bummer. Just imagine what we could do if we took the time to always be aware of how we are acting. If we tried to be positive and have a great outlook on life even when we didn’t really feel like it, just imagine the possibilities. You may have heard the term, “Fake it until you make it.” That isn’t what I am talking about here. I am talking about taking the time to be genuinely caring to others around us. It doesn’t take as much effort as you might imagine. And believe me…people can tell when you fake it.

Now that I have gotten this little tidbit off my mind, I want you to focus on why you do the things that you do. What is it that drives you to be the person that you have become? For me, the answer is pretty easy.

When I was growing up here in Breathitt County, my family didn’t have a lot. I wouldn’t say that we were poor, but I never had everything handed to me either. Like a lot of other people, I knew what it was like to do without. One positive aspect in my life was school. I had some wonderful teachers when I was growing up who really showed that they cared for me and encouraged me to grow.

I literally went from a quiet child who was afraid to say boo to anyone to someone who can talk to just about anyone. Of course, I'm a much better writer than a speaker...but everyone has their strengths.

When I decided to become a teacher, I knew that I wanted to teach in Breathitt County. There are a lot of kids in this county that are growing up and facing the same things that I faced when I was their age. So, I guess that I could say that the main thing that is driving me to do the things that I do is the fact that I want to help others the way that I was helped. I want to be a positive influence in their lives. I really care about the future of this county.

Today, I was telling my students that there are a lot of outside powers that would love nothing better than to keep people in this region poor and uneducated. If people are poor and uneducated, they are easier to control. I told the kids that they owed it to themselves to work hard and to get as smart as they could. Smart people ask questions. Smart people are not easy to control. Smart people work to better their lives and the lives of the people around them.

If you watch how the media portrays people in our area, you often wonder what happened to all of the good things? We have people in Eastern Kentucky who make a great living, live in decent housing, and drive pretty nice automobiles. We have professionals…and yes, we have poverty. But then again…so does every region in the United States…and the world. Why does the news feel the constant need to berate and belittle people in the Appalachian region? It makes good ratings, and that equals more dollars for them.

So once again, I ask you….what drives you? What makes you do the things that you do each day? Take a moment to think about it. The answer may just surprise you. Until next week…class dismissed!

No comments: