Sunday, January 29, 2012

Easter Eggs and Sesame Street

The warm days that we have been having remind me of early Spring weather. We were out driving this past Saturday, and I told Lisa that I wouldn't have been too surprised to see children out in the grass hunting for Easter eggs. This season has almost an unnatural feel to it. However, it isn't. It is just one of those flukes of good old Mother Nature. She's just having a hot flash at the moment. I'm still holding out for at least one good snow, but it doesn't look like we will have one this week. Maybe February will be better for snow. Time will tell.

 

 

In other news, one of our good Facebook friends is in Russia right now. She is on her first trip to see her possible new baby. She left yesterday and should be in bed at the moment since Russia is 8 hours ahead of us in time. I can remember the first trip that Lisa and I made to Russia last year. The airline we flew, Delta, did a really good job of making you feel like you weren't skipping time zones. They fed you dinner once you were on the plane, then darkened the lights so that you could sleep, and then fed you breakfast when you woke up.

However, your body knows differently! At least, mine did. The clock said that it was 10 am at the airport when we landed, but my mind was screaming that it was only 2 am and that it wanted to go back to sleep. There was a five hour drive from the airport to the hotel. Lisa and I did fall asleep during the drive there. But then...when we were supposed to be asleep, we were wide awake again.

I can remember that it was one o'clock in the morning, and we were both wide awake and starving! That is because it was just 5 pm here in the USA. We were ready for dinner! Luckily, we both had some snacks with us. It is amazing how the human body can function even in extreme situations such as that one. We are all true living miracles.

I know that Jacob has been our miracle. After 18 years of marriage, we were more than ready to become parents. Now, we are coming up on 20 years together this May. Lisa and I are more in love today than ever, and we are so in love with our little boy. I knock on wood often because I don't want this good luck to end.

I just wish our good friend the best of luck on her first trip. I know that she still has a long journey in front of her, but at least she has taken that first step. The flights to Russia are 10 hours long each way, and that in itself is enough! Lisa and I took a total of 3 trips to complete our adoption. I'm glad that we don't have to go back anytime soon. However, we will probably take another trip to Russia in the future just so that we can show Jacob where he came from. That is...if he wants to go. We will leave that up to him.

On another subject, I went to the local hospital and had my Upper GI and my EKG tests done. The results were sent to my doctor in Columbus. I have to still have my stress test done this week. I'm not really looking forward to it, but I see it as just another hoop I have to jump through in order to get my gastric banding surgery done.

I would like to lose about 90 pounds within the next year or two. My main reason for doing this is to be healthier and have more energy. My other main concern is being able to fit into amusement park rides. I don't know about you, but it seems like it gets harder and harder to get my big butt in those rides each year. I have a feeling that Jacob is going to be the type of child who loves to ride every ride....including the ones that flip you on your head about a zillion times. Lisa won't ride anything that flips you upside down...so I guess that I will have to be the responsible parent on those rides. Not that I mind. I love amusement parks!

In fact, this summer, we are planning on taking Jacob to Sesame Place. Sesame Place is a family theme park that is located in Langhorne, Pennsylvania. According to their website, you can "share in the spirit of imagination with your kids at Sesame Place - where you can experience Sesame Street together through whirling rides, water slides, colorful shows & furry friends. And where you'll discover that sometimes, the best part of their childhood is rediscovering yours." I'm really looking forward to going and seeing the life size recreation of Sesame Street! This sounds like a really cool park. I don't think that I'll have to worry about flipping on my head at this park though....LOL!

 

 

Take a moment today and be thankful for all of your blessings. The small things in life are truly the most important ones of all. I know from personal experience that the best thing in the world can be a hug from your child as he says, "I love you daddy." I wouldn't trade that for all the gold in the world.

Until next week....class dismissed!

No comments: