Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

Hey hey everybody! Today was the day that we take time to celebrate dads around the world. At the Fugate household, this was the day that we celebrated Father’s Day for all of the dads in the family. We also celebrated my Uncle Junior’s birthday. As an added bonus, it was a great chance to get everyone together for a reunion of sorts! It seems like everyone is so busy with their lives that it is hard to get together. But I have to say that today was just a perfect day for celebrating.

We had lots of guests at our cookout. My wife’s mother, Janet, came up to join in the festivities. My dad’s cousin, Donna Belle, and her two sons, Russell and Billy, came up. It was good seeing all three of them. Russell has been going to school at Morehead and working on a degree in computers. He is currently working at Sykes, and from what he told me, it is great place to work! They both are great guys whom I have known for EVER! Billy really enjoyed playing my Guitar Hero III game. He even had the look down with some totally happening shades! I think that he could go out on tour! LOL!

My mom’s brother, Robert, was able to attend the cookout. He was joined by his daughter Jennifer and all of her kids. I have to say that I am totally jealous of Jenny. She was super SKINNY! I didn’t even recognize her at first. All of her kids are great. They are so well-behaved. She has a done a fantastic job with them. They were all in love with our dogs, Sadie and Sassy. Sadie is a beagle, and she was just having a field day with all of the kids. They loved playing tug-of-war with her.

My Uncle George and Aunt Shirley came down from on top of the mountain. Their son, Gobel, and two daughters, Nancy and Dawn, were able to attend as well. Nancy’s daughters, Gina and Kayla, were here also. I am glad that they were all here. I hardly ever get to see them. From what my Uncle George and Aunt Shirley were saying, they had to fight the snakes back just to get out their front door. They have killed copperheads and rattlesnakes galore up where they live. LOL! I think that I will wait until winter before I go and visit them.

My Uncle Willard and Aunt Colleen finally showed up. We had eaten all of the food by then….LOL! Just kidding. There was tons of hamburgers, hotdogs, homemade potato salad, baked beans, deviled eggs, chips, coleslaw, three cakes, and ice cream. Did I mention that I am trying to lose a few pounds. Good luck, huh? Oh well….diet tomorrow and diet yesterday….but never diet today. LOL!

We all had fun playing games today. We played Guitar Hero III on the Xbox 360. Everyone was really getting into it….rocking out! Gina can even play it behind her back. Now that is just showing out…LOL. I’m just jealous Gina! You were great. Kayla even beat the game and was so pleased. Good going girls!

I finally got my Aunt Colleen, Gobel, and Dawn to play bowling on the Wii with me. If you haven’t played it, it is so cool. The game senses the movement of your arm and throws the bowling ball down the lane just like it would in real life. It is so cool. We all had a great time playing. Of course, Lisa had to come down and skunk everyone. She is just TOO GOOD! But I knew that when I married her (hi honey)!

We even got a visit from Adna Mae Noble. She was coming around collecting news for her community news article that she writes for The Jackson Times. I told her that I was going to mention her in MY article, since she was going to write about our cookout in her article. Hi Adna Mae! How was that orange cake?

All too soon, everyone started to leave. It was a good day, and I was sad to see everyone go. The truth is that when we say goodbye to someone that we don’t know for sure if we are ever going to see them again. Each day is a gift and each meeting of family and friends is more precious than any amount of money. I hope that each of you were able to spend the day with your families and friends. If you haven’t seen someone special to you in a while…what are you waiting for. Time is the only thing that they aren’t making more of….think about that for a while.

Until next week….class dismissed!

No comments: