Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hatfield Reunion 2008 was a BLAST!

Hey hey everybody! I hope that you all have been having fun during this fine month of June. I know that I have. Lisa and I just got back from the 2008 Hatfield Reunion…and we had a GREAT time!

As you recall from last week, I informed you that I am not a Hatfield by birth….I’m a “married in” member. But I have to say that everyone at the reunion just went out of their way to make me feel like I was one of the family. This was the second year that we went and I am looking forward to next year’s reunion already!

The event was held near at Yatesville Lake in Louisa, Kentucky. We rented cabins nearby. Several people also camped in their RVs. This was the kind of camping that I enjoy. No leaky tents or sleeping on the ground here! We had a 2-bedroom cabin with bathroom, kitchen, dining room, and living room. It had color TV with cable and a really cold air-conditioner! Ahhh…..I was in camping heaven. Of course, some of the RVs that were there were nicer than many houses that I have been in. It seems that these Hatfield’s really know how to go in style. I guess that they have come a long way from their “hillbilly” days…LOL!

Most of the action took place under a huge tent canopy. This thing had to be at least 40 feet long and just as wide. Now when I say action, what I mostly mean is…EATING. The Hatfield’s really love to eat. As soon as Lisa and I arrived with her mom, Janet….we started eating. And we didn’t stop until it was time to leave on Sunday morning. There was just so much good food. There was the traditional fare of hamburgers and hotdogs, of course. But there were some real treats to be had as well. This included baked ham, smoked chicken, smoked beef and pork, deep fried catfish, a wide selection of salads and pasta salads, spiced potatoes, casseroles, fruit, soup beans, cornbread, rolls, something called sour kraut salad, and other items too numerous to mention. And did I mention the deserts? There was enough sweet stuff there to send at least 100 diabetics into a coma.

Unlike most reunions that I have attended with my own family (and there haven’t been that many unfortunately), this reunion had planned entertainment. On the first night that we were there, we had a skit night. Several of us had to dress up and perform in a dance contest. Some of the costumes included several of the men dressing up as “ladies of the evening” and some of the more mature members dressing up as “recreational schedulers” (referring to the ladies of the evening) and rappers. Two people dressed up as a throwback to the fabulous 80’s. We even had one of the guys dress up as an old granny! Yours truly had to dress up as a knight…complete with helmet, sword, and shield. My “princess” was a 6 foot 5 inch cousin of Lisa’s….and he wasn’t a woman! LOL! We had a great time hamming it up as he chased me around the dance floor.




The next night, the entertainment was an Imagine If game. Everyone broke into teams and had to answer questions based on the eldest of the Hatfield’s clan. We all had a great time coming up with answers to questions such as “Imagine if Henry was a feeling….would he be….” Of course, the choices were hilarious. I think that we all had a great time with that game as well.

That last night, we all sat up very late just talking. I felt very special to be included in the conversation as everyone was remembering past events. I could really tell that this family truly does care about each other….and they love each other. Unfortunately, you don’t see that a lot anymore.

Overall, the Hatfield reunion was an amazing experience. It just seemed to go by too fast. Now, we are just left with memories….and extra POUNDS from all of that food. So much for my summer diet. Oh well….I’ll start again this week!

Until next time….class dismissed!

No comments: