Sunday, January 8, 2012

New Year Resolution!

Another year has gone and a new one is underway. Sorry that I haven’t written in a few weeks, but it has been a very hectic few weeks with the Christmas rush and the New Year’s celebrations. Throw in a trip to Houston, TX and….woosh….the time seems to fly by!

As the new year starts, I hope that everyone is sticking to their resolutions. It seems as though everyone is all ready to start fresh…to start their lives over again…with the ringing in of another year. A New Year's resolution is a commitment that a person makes to one or more personal goals, projects, or the reforming of a habit. A key element to a New Year's Resolution that sets it apart from other resolutions is that it is made in anticipation of the New Year and new beginnings. People committing themselves to a New Year's resolution generally plan to do so for the whole following year. This lifestyle change is generally interpreted as a good thing. In other words, we don’t say, “I’m going to resolve to gain 50 pounds!”

One of my resolutions this year is to lose weight and get healthy. I have always had issues with my weight…even as a child. I had some success with low-carb dieting a few years ago, but the weight is creeping back up. So before I get back to my old weight again, I have decided to take measures to lose weight this year.

I guess that a lot of people have made this resolution, but I plan on taking another step toward my goal. I am getting ready to have gastric banding surgery done. With this surgery, an inflatable band is placed around the upper part of the stomach to create a smaller stomach pouch. This restricts the amount of food that can be consumed at one time and increases the time taken for the stomach to empty. The patient achieves sustained weight loss by limiting food intake, reducing appetite, and slowing digestion.

This will be a fairly straightforward surgery. Gastric banding is the least invasive surgery of its kind. Gastric banding is performed using laparoscopic surgery and usually results in a shorter hospital stay, faster recovery, smaller scars, and less pain than open surgical procedures. Because no part of the stomach is stapled or removed, and the patient’s intestines are not re-routed, he or she can continue to absorb nutrients from food normally. Gastric bands are made entirely of biocompatible materials, so they are able to stay in the patient’s body without causing harm.

My wife had this surgery done 2 ½ years ago and she has had wonderful results. I have lived through this with her, and I know the pros and cons of the banding lifestyle. I know that this is not just a magic bullet that is going to solve all of my problems. However, it is a great tool that I will be able to use in order to obtain a healthier weight. I feel that I will be able to do this because I have the support that I need from my wife. We can support each other.

In the coming weeks, I will be sharing my experiences with you as I go through surgery, recovery, and my first steps into the gastric banding life. I hope that perhaps I will be able to help others who may be having trouble with their weight who may be considering gastric banding.

Until next week….class dismissed!

No comments: